How a survey works is straightforward:
1. If possible, have the boat hauled out several hous ahead of time. It is useless to test for moisture intrusion on a wet hull.
2. I will need the hull identification number and registration wih the Coast Guard and/or state.
3. I will inspect the hull first if the boat is on dry land. I am looking for damage, osmotic blisters, hull delamination, and moisture levels within the hull, and corrosion in aluminum boats.
4. Running gear: Prop shafts, outdrives, struts, props, rudders for damage and alignment. Gimbal bearings for wear. Also, sacrificial anodes (zincs).
5. Decks for wear, damage, soft spots, and moisture instrusion. Also safety rails, pulpit, ground tackle, and cleats.
6. Electrical: Battery connections and protection, wiring harnesses, wiring connections, signs of excessive heat and electrical arcing, signs of wear, compliance with USCG regulations and ABYC standards. Check shore power connections for arcing/heat.
7. Mechanical: Visually inspect the engines, generators, cooling systems, check for alarm function.
8. Fuel: Check the fuel tanks for corrosion or ethanol dissolution. Check fuel lines and cut off valves.
9. Dewatering: Check the bilge pumps for proper function.
10. Fresh water and sanitation: Check fresh water and black water tanks for structural integrity. Check discharge hoses and valves for compliance with Federal law,
11. Ignition: Check for alarms.
12. Safety: mandatory safety equipment (life jackets, throwable devices, flares)
13. Galley: Appliances, safety including propane storage.
14. Fire suppression: USCG approved fire extinguishers in good working condition, automatic fire suppression (e.g., Fire Buoy) systems where required.
I will complete the inspection/survey report within 5 days and mail it to you, unless you would rather have it by email.
The report will include my observations, findings, and recommendations for everything in the list to the left, as well as color pictures.
The typical completed survey report for a 35' yacht is 15-17 pages.
The survey report goes ONLY to the paying client.
Copyright 2021 Puls Marine Surveying, LLC. All rights reserved.